Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:33:35 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAIL set by whom?

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 04:01 +0100, Roelof Osinga wrote:

> The following is what i've got:
>
> nl:~$ grep  MAIL /etc/*

You better may do something like
  find /etc -type f -print | xargs grep -wn MAIL /dev/null
which walks the complete /etc tree and only greps in regular
files.  You might find /etc/defaults and friends of interest,
too, sometimes.  The /dev/null thingy is a "trick" to make grep
display a file name even if it has only one "real" file to grep
through.

[ cutting down your list to 'grep -w' output :) ]
[ your lines were wrapped, too, without being marked as such;
  PLONK your mail frontend for this stupidity (why don't you use
  mutt?) ]

> /etc/login.conf:#
> :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K,FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES:\
> /etc/login.conf:
> :setenv=MAIL=/home/$/Maildir/,BLOCKSIZE=K,FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES:\
> /etc/login.conf:#       :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K:\
> /etc/services:ni-mail            61/tcp    #NI MAIL
> /etc/services:ni-mail            61/udp    #NI MAIL

[ inserting your complaint from below ]
> The above /etc/login.conf parts don't do the trick and other
> occurrences of MAIL I can't find.

Have you looked at what sections these MAIL settings are in?
That "these don't do the trick" may have a reason.  Issue some
  grep -n '^[a-z][a-z]*:' /etc/login.conf
which (together with the above -wn) should give you the idea.  Or
alternatively open /etc/login.conf with your favourite $PAGER to
eyeball it, grep output is not always meant for human reception.

> nl:~$ grep MAIL *

You're absolutely missing _all_ your _config_ files! :)  Use
  grep -w MAIL ~/.??*

> PS I've read about:
>
> nl:~$ cat .mutttrc

Check your spelling, please.  This might have been in your
message only, but when it's in your $HOME, it "won't do the
trick". :>  And I would better move to the ~/.mutt/muttrc scheme
which in presence of all the address books, included configs and
stuff leaves your $HOME sane und mostly uncluttered.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net