Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 17:14:27 -0700
From:      "Ross Potts, CON, EDS/D-SIDDOMS" <rpotts@med.osd.mil>
To:        Jin Guojun (ITG staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        freeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Underclocking (Was: Overclocking)

>Sure, reducing the CPU clock will lower the heat generated from CPU.
>Beware that not all CPUs can be overclocked/underclocked. Read the Intel
>CPU spec., some of the CPUs must run at specified clock rate. Typically
>those MMX CPUs.

Also take a look at the "lot codes"(I think that is the term) that are stamped
on the CPU.  If you see SY022 or SY033, chances are, you will only be able to
overclock by one step.  Right now, I am only dealing with Pentium classics and
pros.  Consult Tom's Hardware Guide(I don't have the URL today) on the web.
It's well written.

--
Potts, Ross A.		    Internet : Ross.Potts@med.osd.mil
EDS-D/SIDDOMS		    Phone    : (703) 824-7601