Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 22:51:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Morgan Davis <mdavis@io.cts.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   sio overruns

FYI: I've got a device connected to a serial port (a BBS) that
requires DCD up all the time.  However, every now and then a caller
connects to the port via cu and drops carrier.  The cu processes don't
go away, and when the BBS sends data to the port, it triggers sio
overrun errors.  These overruns cause FreeBSD 2.1d0 to freak out (a
technical term that means that pulling a ps will lock up the machine).
I can access /proc, but a ps will hang that process.  I can get logged
in elsewhere, but it's tough to find PIDs to kill the hung sessions.
All you can really do is down the machine.

I didn't have this problem until I hooked up a BBS to the serial port.