Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 19:40:28 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SIS 900 Onboard NIC /w SIS 735 Chipset Motherboard.

Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org> types:
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 03:02:15PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Could you provide a pointer to where you found it? An explanation of
> > why users need to reprogram their MAC's - which is rather unusual -
> > would help quite a bit.
> There are several possibilities:

None of which apply in this case. The posted instructions told the
reader how to put the original MAC address back after it turned up all
zeros, not how to change it to an arbitrary value.  This was basically
a bit of code to work around a bug in the firmware that caused the
hardware to lose the MAC address.

All of which has little to do with the real problem - getting the SiS
900 in the SiS 735 chipset working with FreeBSD, so I can put the fxp
card and the PCI slot it's in to better use. The SiS is recognized,
but you get the following at boot:

sis0: <SiS 900 10/100BaseTX> port 0xd000-0xd0ff mem 0xcffdd000-0xcffddfff irq 14 at device 3.0 on pci0
sis0: Ethernet address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
sis0: MII without any PHY!
device_probe_and_attach: sis0 attach returned 6

Apparently the PHY part of this chipset is either unsupported or
unrecognized.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.