Date:      Wed, 07 Feb 1996 13:25:37 -0800
From:      Fred Gilham <gilham@csl.sri.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   I can crash freebsd-stable reliably

After troubleshooting a problem that was bringing one of our servers
down, I've made the following discovery:

I can reliably crash our systems using FreeBSD-stable, 3 disks and an
adaptec 2940 controller.

The system is a pentium 100 with an OPTI chipset motherboard.  It has
32 megs of memory.  It has 3 drives.  Two are Seagate 4gig hawk
drives, the other is a Fujitsu 512-meg drive.  (The in-use server that
caused my investigation is configured similarly except it has an IBM
drive instead of the Fujitsu.)

We found that the in-use system would crash every night during backups
(we use amanda to do backups).  The system will also crash during the
parallel fsck when it reboots and tries to fsck all the drives at one
time.  Usually it finishes one or more drives before it crashes so
rebooting again will succeed, as the fsck usually only tries to do one
drive.

I can reliably crash the system by doing dumps of the two seagate
drives at the same time.  It takes less than five minutes to do this.

I do

dump 0sf 100000 /dev/null /dev/rsd1s1e

and

dump 0sf 100000 /dev/null /dev/rsd2s1e

at the same time.

The symptoms are that the activity light on the system goes hard on as
well as the light on one of the disk drives.  Also, the console
message starts repeatedly reporting

ahc0: target 2 lun 0 (sd2) timed out

and

ahc0: target 1 lun 0 (sd1) timed out

After that the whole disk subsystem seems to go south.

I'm using FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE on these systems (the sup is from a week
or two ago).  I went to this version because 2.1R was having similar
problems with this setup.  I was under the impression that the adaptec
driver had had some changes that would help with this.

I've tried using the scsi-select utility to change the speed of the
scsi bus to 5mb/sec, but that doesn't cure the problem.

This is a big problem for me.  Can anyone help?  I can supply more
information or cooperate in other ways if needed.

-Fred Gilham   gilham@csl.sri.com