Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 17:05:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steve Ames <steve@ns1.cioe.com>
To:        steve@inc.net, steve@ns1.cioe.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk mirroring?

> > Can anyone recommend a non-hardware method of disk mirroring? What
> > I'm looking for is something akin to disk mirroring under NT4. ie
> > I add another drive, declare it and an old disk part of a mirror
> > set and data gets replicated and then subsequent writes go to both
> > drives.
>
> man ccd
>
> Should do what you need...

Nope. ccd suffers from the same problems (for this application) as
vinum:

- requires that you start with either 'ccd' devices or 'vinum' volumes
  (existing data partitions need to be copied off and then back on...)

- no real support for mirroring the 'root' partition

What I really need is an abstraction layer above the standard disk
devices where I can group a couple of standard disk partitiions
together and achieve simultaneous writes (ie I write to the abstract
layer, it writes to both partitions)... ccd and vinum both seem to
do this but what I don't see is the ability to stop using vinum and
just use the single partition if something happens to the other drive.
Also I can't seem to stripe. Everything comes out concatentated :)

Then there the issue of no 'root' partition support.

					-Steve