Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 11:20:11 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        JGarcia <jgarcia@brokersys.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: home use

I hope you don't mind me copying -questions on this reply.  There's
nothing personal in it, and the subject matter is appropriate for
-questions.

On Monday, 29 June 1998 at 20:29:24 -0500, JGarcia wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> There's a product called Fortify which provides 128 bit encryption for
>> Netscrape.  The ANZ bank here uses it, but unfortunately their service
>> is so slow that it's not worth using.  Check out
>> http://www.fortify.net/ for fortify, and your bank to see if it's
>> compatible (and if their web server is usable :-)
>
> I was wondeing in your opinion how good is freebsd when considering freebsd or
> Linux redhat or Debian?

Better :-)

I have used Linux in the past.  It's a good system, but obviously I
prefer FreeBSD or I wouldn't be using it.

> Can I do all that I do with win95 create webpages, and have a office
> suite such as ms Works or MS Office to run under it, and maybe get
> some other tools such as address books and get scanners to run and
> so forth so that I can use.

Well, yes, though things like office suites are more limited (they
don't fit the UNIX way of doing things).  About the only one is
StarOffice.

> If I can get this to work I might be able to get rid of win95 and
> see how my wife uses freebsd.

You might find yourself with marital conflicts.  People who are used
to Microsoft frequently have difficulty adapting to UNIX.

> Maybe you could help me with the configurations of the hardrive.  I
> have a problem with the partitions, I have no problem with redhat
> but cannot figure out the use of the fdisk app in freebsd.

The FreeBSD book will answer these questions, as will the online
handbook.  The easiest way is to use the Novice installation, which
will do it all for you.  Otherwise, as a rule of thumb, allocate 40 MB
to the root file system, 128 MB swap and the rest to /usr.  After
installation, make a symbolic link from /var to /usr/var.

> Let me know what you think and how good it the freebsd book they
> suggest, will it help with all configurations and questions I might
> have.?

It's excellent!  The best book I have ever written.

Greg