Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 2004 22:52:23 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <ceo@l-i-e.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ISDN Jack Installation

weather them through what?  You mean, weather them through the times that
all their Internet subscribers get sick of their crap and pull their
Internet
service?

Cable companies have little interest in Internet because they make the bulk
of their
money off selling tv content, payperview, and porno channels.  The Internet
connectivity is just a way they can get a cable line into your house and get
your name so they can pitch their higher margin tv programming to you.

Cable companies are monopolists who have the tv content regulated by local
governments, as it should be.  But the Internet content, although it's a
monopoly too, they have managed to wiggle out of getting regulated.

As a regulated monopoly a cable company can never lose money.  But, just
because they cannot lose money doesen't mean they are rolling their profits
back into infrastructure investment in their networks.  There is no
guarentee
that any part of this stable steady income is ever going to fund any
Internet
infrastructure investment in a cable company.  There might be if Internet
under cable was regulated, but it's not.

 -- The odds on cable TV suddenly not being
> available at your location in anything but truly rural or even remote
> areas is nil.

Same is true of DSL.

> DSL?  Fah.  You're lucky if the company you call today for a price quote
> is still around in 12 months.

Of course, there are some drawbacks to Cable such as you don't generally
get a static IP number.  DSL providers by contrast usually have them
available,
save the garbage grade ilec isp's.

Also, look at the acceptable use for cable, servers of any kind are
prohibited.

Just because you were burned several years ago doesen't mean the DSL market
is still the same.  Northpoint and Rhythms both went bankrupt, but Covad is
still running, and ILEC dsl is perking along fine.

Sure there are some smaller ISP's who were provisioning over ilec DSL who
gave it up after they couldn't make money on it.  But they are all out of
the market now, and the people left in the DSL market are there for the
long haul.

And sure, there's some areas that DSL cannot reach, and that cable can.
I also know of areas that cable cannot reach that DSL can.

In most major markets you can count on at least two regional ISP's who
are provisioning over ILEC dsl, you can count on MSN and maybe one other
national ISP also provisioning over ILEC dsl, and the ilecs of course
themselves have their own ISPs that provision over ilec dsl, and to top it
off you can also count on att/earthlink/mindspring provisioning over
covad DSL.  And today, covad is radsl over voice, they don't require a
separate phone line anymore.

By contrast with the cable companies you can count on 1 monopoly ISP and
if you don't like the way they run their network, you can go to hell.

Ted