Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 17:39:31 -0700
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Tim E Schafer <tim_schafer@agship.com>
Cc:        'Ari Suutari' <ari.suutari@syncrontech.com>, 'Java FreeBSD' <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: All Linux JDK with Hotspot or JIT unstable on FreeBSD

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 04:50:43PM -0700, Tim E Schafer wrote:
> Have I told you all lately how much I really appreciate the hard work
> put
> into making Java on FreeBSD a reality :)
>
> I may have to use Linux for some up coming stuff where native threads is
> a make or break feature

Because of the fact that our libc_r system living in one domain, context
switch times and waking up a thread is pretty much just a function call
away to the UTS. That means that I'm expecting threading performance to
be much better than the clone() model when this is all done.

Only an empirical analysis will prove or disprove this, but the claim
makes sense since I've been in both the libc_r and HotSpot internals.

KSE's should also make it rock.

> But I dream of the day when FreeBSD is on equal ground (or better!) in
> the Java arena

We have a good chance of being exactly that. But a port of 1.4 is needed
which means that we must have HotSpot working. -classic has been removed
from that tree. NIO, SMPng and KSEs are all needed for this to come into
play.

We'll see. Personally, I'm getting pooped doing this and comtemplated
quitting last night. I feel different today and I suspect I was suffering
from depression as a result of caffine withdrawl. ;) But this project
is definitely pushing to the edge of my inherent technical abilty and I
not use to being overrun with this amount of technical knowledge.

In other words, I'm use to conquering all. ;)

bill