Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 14:52:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        Joe Moss <jmoss@ichips.intel.com>, chet@po.cwru.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'bug' in /bin/sh's builtin 'echo'

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Martin Cracauer wrote:

> This one doesn't specify a -e option (in fact it specifies that echo
> should take no options at all), everything behaves as if -e was
> specified and all switches are echoed. I can hardly accept that as
> something to follow.

With '\c', you don't need '-n' any more.

This is already the way our own /bin/echo works, and that has not seemed
to have broken anything.  It also has the support of a 'standard', and
most (all?) of the commercial UNIX providers following it (anyone want to
try on HP-UX and OSF/Digital UNIX?).  The change to make is *trivial*, in
the 'builtin' echo.c in sh you need to uncomment the line
"#define eflag 1"

(on a side note, our 'ls' does not support the '-n' flag; this would be me
volenteering to fix if no one else is interested in doing so)
--
David Cross