Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2012 00:42:47 +1000
From:      Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
To:        Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, Adam Strohl <adams-freebsd@ateamsystems.com>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

In message <1541214.ZfRdXxb0Qe@x220.ovitrap.com>, Erich writes:
> Hi,
>
> On 05 June 2012 1:09:50 Mark Linimon wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 01:00:45PM +0700, Erich wrote:
> > > All of these, with the exception of HEAD (which is always a valid tag),
> > > only apply to the src/ tree. The ports/, doc/, and www/ trees are not
> > > branched.
> >
> > If you create a branch, you must create a tag for that branch.
> >
> > However, you can create a tag without creating a branch.  That is what
> > is done for the ports tree.
> >
> I found now the location where this information is missing for beginners.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html
>
> I simply cannot believe that beginners would expect this information to find
> this in the section for updating the kernel.
>
> Erich

Because, while you believe it is better to roll back to the release
point it really isn't.  The ports tree is rarely broken for long.
When it is broken people will tell you to roll back to a good date
and give you the date to use.  I've had to roll back a couple of
times in 11+ years of updating and never to a release point.

What is there is good advice.  Use a up-to-date ports tree.  If it
is broken wait a days or so and try again.  If it is still broken
report the problem using send-pr.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC