Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 03:28:41 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@psknet.com>
To:        "Chris Fedde" <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Gentle request... FIX YOUR MUA!

Chris,

I hope you don't mind me copying this back to -questions.  I feel that other
folks would benefit from this discourse.

** From: cfedde@fedde.littleton.co.us
**
**
** I'll agree that our opinions on this differ. MUA, like text-editors
** turn out to be an area that is fraught with personal preferences.
** Perhaps outlook provides all that you need in an MUA and with proper
** customization by competent individuals it can be made to send and
** view mail in a usable and polite way.  But the default settings
** as shipped are broken and exhibit an ignorance and disregard for
** community standards that borders on criminal.

Oh God that is so true.  Perhaps I should have stuck with a MUA under my
shell, but the ``experiment'' with Outlook got me hooked.  Besides, it only
takes about 2 minutes to change the defaults to reasonable settings (once
you figure out which menus to click on :).

**
** You, at least understand the limitations of your chosen environment.
** I applaud your willingness to adapt.  So often the first reaction
** is to quickly respond with denial that a problem exists.
**

Even though I use Outlook for email, I don't like HTML formatted mail at all
(let alone the poorly formatted crap that Exchange tends to spew).  The
absolute worst though, are the damned Word documents that my lawyers send me
(ok for real documents, but not general correspondence).

I don't get to gripe too often though.  Most people who email me directly
are my customers, and it's difficult to correct them when they're the one's
paying my bills and hopefully making me rich.  I just pray that they
eventually find a friend or relative that can lend them a clue.

**
** I should point out though that X- stands for extension not experimental.
** A quick glance at the RFC would have shown this.
**

Oops, my bad.  I've not actually needed to grok the RFC yet.  I actually
found `experimental' in another document.  It sounded good, so it got
inserted into my gray-matter dictionary.  Foul entry corrected.

ciao,

-Troy