Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2017 12:42:20 +0000
From:      Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com>
To:        Konstantin Tokarev <annulen@yandex.ru>
Cc:        =?UTF-8?Q?Ren=C3=A9_Ladan?= <r.c.ladan@gmail.com>,  Mark Martinec <mark.martinec+freebsd@ijs.si>,  "ports@freebsd.org Ports" <ports@freebsd.org>,  "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does building linux packages under poudriere require linux compatibility emulation?

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen@yandex.ru>
wrote:

> 14.01.2017, 12:18, "Ren=C3=A9 Ladan" <r.c.ladan@gmail.com>:
> > Op 14 jan. 2017 01:07 schreef "Mark Martinec" <
> Mark.Martinec+freebsd@ijs.si
> >> :
> > When building packages under poudriere on 11.0-RELEASE-p7 (from a comma=
nd
> > line in a terminal window) I'm noticing occasional streams of diagnosti=
c:

> >   ELF binary type "3" not known.
> >
> > which seem to be related to building some linux packages (example below=
,
> > parallel builds). Poudriere still reports success for these builds.
> >
> > The host where poudriere is running does not have linux.ko loaded.
> >
> > Does building such packages really require linuxilator configured
> > on the build host ???
>
> For example, your log includes building qdoc3. It is likely to be used in
> build process of other Qt packages.

qmake, moc, various utilities for maintaining Qt object registries... there
will be a lot of build tools, and you would need to force them to build
native instead of linux if you wanted to get away with not having the
linuxulator installed. (This will be hard if they are part of another build
that needs to be linux.) Same applies to gtk and dependents. And their
respective upstreams likely have no interest in what amounts to a
cross-compilation setup: too much difficult (and difficult for them to
test) work, very little demand.

--=20
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associate=
allbery.b@gmail.com                                  ballbery@sinenomine.ne=
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.ne=