Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:47:43 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        hmmm@alaska.net (hmmm), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: www/email d

: i getting very confused.  all i want to do is set up the MINIMAL
: www/email setup between 3 fbsd machines.  i want 1 to be a server,
: and 2 to function as clients.  i'd like to use what comes with
: a minimum install.

: i have pine/slynx for client apps.  what binaries need to be running on
: the server so client0 can send email to root@server &
: client1@server(into mailbox on server)

: and what binaries need to be run on the server so client0 & client1
: can access WWW pages on the server?

: please keep it simple!  show me how easy it is!
: (private LAN - no Internet connections))

: do i need apache?  seems like someone said inetd can do this ...
: do i need some crazy emaild daemon, or is sendmail good enough?

 Mail issue.

  Each machine should have a unique identifying name, and of course
  a unique IP (internet address) number.

  The machine you with to act as your "email server" should be
  running sendmail (see your /etc/sysconf file).  You client
  machines _don't_ have to run sendmail, but it shouldn't
  hurt if you want to.

  Somehow each machine on the network needs to be able to
  translate the "names" you have given them (like fred, albert,
  and sammy) into the IP addresses.  You can do this by having
  each with static entries in /etc/hosts (on all the machines),
  or by setting up
  a basic DNS server on your main server.

  The DNS server idea has its advantages, but might be something
  you can try later on.

 WebServer issue.

  The machine you with to have "serving" your web pages should
  be running some sort of web-server.  Popular web servers
  include apache or cern's httpd.  You can find both of these
  servers in the "ports" collection.   See the FreeBSD handbook
  for more information on ports and packages.

  See the documentation that comes with either the cern or
  apache servers for configuring them.

 Problems you might have...

  Some programs get a bit shitty when they can't do DNS lookups
  (thats domain name service) from a DNS server, and they
  don't like using the /etc/hosts file ..  There's a nice
  "HOWTO" put together by the linux people on setting up
  a nameserver, or the book "DNS and Bind" from O'R. is the
  definative reference.

 Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds