Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:35:48 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: local ports?

On 1 Sep 2003 Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Jacob Smullyan wrote:
>
> > Hi --
> >
> > I'm coming to FreeBSD after using Gentoo Linux extensively for a year
> > and half, so I'm wondering whether some features of Gentoo have
> > equivalents in FreeBSD ports:
> >
> > 1. is it possible to specify a particular version of a port that you
> > want to install, or is there only one version of a port available at
> > any one time in a particular distribution branch?
>
>Depends. In most cases, you have one version at a specific time, but
>things like samba, there are the 2.2 and 3.0 simultaneously available.
>
>There is the utility portupgrade, which also does a great job in
>updating the ports tree, therefore keeping your apps up to date.
>
> > 2. is it possible to have local ports, so as to keep my own ports
> > (either new applications or development versions of pre-existing
> > ports) in a separate place than the regular ports tree?
>
>basically, yes.
>But I have to admit that I never dug through the vast amount of
>makefiles.
>
>in each part of the installation process via ports, you can set some
>parameters, if you want.
>

> > I haven't come across this in the handbook, but I may have missed it.
> > There may be other sources of documentation I've missed, too --
>
>This is mostly make.conf and the whole concept of makefiles...
>There is nearly only digging through man pages or the mailing list
>archives.
>
>HTH
>Olaf

Last thing's first, "the porter's handbook" is the one you want; it
describes this in great detail.
http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html
. The files in /usr/ports/Mk/ are also very useful, as they cover all the
options available to the makefile, specifically bsd.port.mk.

On keeping a private ports tree, afaik, there's no reason this should be
impossible. But, you might want to copy the contents of the Mk directory to
your private tree (changing any path references from the old port directory)
so you would have the same options available. You'll also probably want to
specify and create a directory for packages, if you're going to test them.

Peace,
Clayton

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental