Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:34:30 -0500
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   spreading system across four fast scsi disks

It seems that, at long last my system is coming!  The requisition now
sits in  the business office awaiting a purchase order (or however such
things happen :).

Anyway, the highlights are

dual AMD 1900 MP
2G DDR
sony 21"
buckling spring keyboard with control key where God meant it to Be
4x 9g cheetah 1500rpm U160 scsi drive
2x18g cheetah 1500rpm U160 scsi drive
no smoke pellets :(

Anyway, the FreeBSD installation will run across the 4 small drives,
with the two large drives for catching data as models run.

But how to divide the four drives?

I'm assuming that /, /usr, swap, and /home all go on different drives
(and that swap really gets its own drive, or at least stuff that
wouldn't get hit on in high performance operations).

What about /var, though?  The purpose of the split is so that the heads
can  be in places likely to be used simultaneously.

Would anything in / oustside of /usr get touched much while a fortran
program was running?  Would /var get touched more than every few
minutes?

Does it matter anyway? :)

I assume the program will be on /home (which I figure to give all but a
little of its drive) and relying on libraries (fortran, imsl, etc.) in
/usr.

hawk, drooling in anticipation . . .

--
What part of "non-negotiable" didn't you understand? /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700           \ /   against HTML mail