Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:07:45 -0700
From:      Lee Damon <nomad@castle.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS (v3) exports limited by netgroup crash mountd

I have a netgroup with some 200 or so hosts listed in it.  When I add it
as an export control on a single file system it slows mountd down a bit
but not badly.

However, if I add it to more than a few file systems in /etc/exports
mountd becomes very slow in replying and eventually gives up and dies.

It doesn't matter if the netgroup is obtained out of /etc/netgroup or a
NIS map.  The behavior is exactly the same either way.

The problem exists on 6.1-STABLE as well as 6.2-PRERELEASE compiled last
night.

I'd really like to get this working.  The idea of exporting hundreds of
user home directories without at least limiting what hosts they can talk
to makes me very nervous.  Yes, I know NFS = No F***ing Security but I'd
still like to make *some* attempt at reasonableness.  Limiting to
network isn't sufficient, there are lots of students with laptops
plugging in everywhere.

Any hints or ideas?

thanks,
nomad