Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:07:26 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        jason watkins <jason_watkins@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: at my wit's end on buildworld

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 11:47:24PM -0800, jason watkins wrote:
> Well, I'm still having problems with buildworld on releng 4.9. My original
> problem was that make would fail on entering sendmail with a "don't know how
> to make" error. I removed /usr/src/* and /usr/sup/src-all/* and resynced
> with a different cvs server, and still had the same problem. So I edited
> make.conf to not build sendmail, since I don't need it. Now the build hangs
> with:
>
> gzip -cn /usr/src/usr.sbin/boot0cfg/boot0cfg.8 > boot0cfg.8.gz
> ===> etc
>
> Make appears to exit silently shortly after writing that output.

As it should.  The only things that should come after that are some
sendmail related stuff, which you apparently told it not to build.
If you have 'NO_SENDMAIL=true' in /etc/make.conf then the above is the
last thing that builworld should output, and means it is finished.

> I've tried
> additional resyncs, and I do remove the concents of /usr/obj/* before each
> build. I've seen another couple recent posts where clearing obj fixed a
> similar problem, but it hasn't worked for me.
>
> So, I'm at a loss. What do I do next?

Your next step should be to build and install a kernel, and then
install the world.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson