Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:04:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/25750: rrdtool port fails to build with -ffast-math -mfancy-math-387

>Number:         25750
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       ports/net/rrdtool fails to build with CC hardware math options
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD onceler.kciLink.com 4.3-BETA FreeBSD 4.3-BETA #1: Wed Mar 7 13:44:04 EST 2001 khera@yertle.kciLink.com:/u/yertle2/usr.obj/amd/onceler/u/onceler1/usr/src/sys/ONCELER i386

ports cvsup'd today; world from march 7.

in /etc/make.conf, I have
CFLAGS+= -ffast-math -mfancy-math-387

which apparently causes IEEE math to fail in GCC, leading to my problem:

rrdtool dies during its self config at build time.  When it croaks, it
spits out the entire config.log making it hard to see the real
error...  this is what you get if you can scroll back a bazillion lines:

checking if IEEE math works with the -OPT:IEEE_comparisons=ON switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with fpsetmask(0)... not isnan(NaN) ... no
checking if IEEE math works with signal(SIGFPE,SIG_IGN)... not isnan(NaN) ... no
configure: error:
Your Compiler does not do propper IEEE math ... Please find out how to
make IEEE math work with your compiler and let me know (oetiker@ee.ethz.ch).
Check config.log to see what went wrong ...

>How-To-Repeat:
cd /usr/ports/net/rrdtool
make

>Fix:

don't specify -ffast-math -mfancy-math-387 to the compiler.