Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:33:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au
Subject:   Re: Indus Drivers

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, David McNett wrote:

> On 14-Apr-1998, Mike Smith wrote:
> > Try the USR Courier I-modem.
>
> I have two of these, and have my hands near another one.  In all cases,
> I have had horrific luck getting FreeBSD to play well with the courier.

  The Courier I-Modem is awful.  I do a lot of ISDN (mostly PRI though),
and run into people trying to call in with I-Modems (mostly 95 and NT) and
they always have problems.

  Get the 3COM Impact II (or IQ) instead.  Works well under FreeBSD.  Has
built in STAC support (because you know that FreeBSD ppp(d) will never be
allowed to do STAC, but STAC is the only compression type most
central-site gear supports).

Tom