Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 10:37:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: List Duplicates

As Julian Jenkins wrote:

> Is it not possible for the list server to scan the list of To: and CC:
> and not resend to these who have already recieved a copy of the message
> independantly?

It's almost impossible.  For example, if somebody g)roup replies to a
message i've sent to -hackers, the message will go to hackers and to
joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (my default reply-to address), whereas
the list server would notice that only freebsd-hackers@
uriah.heep.sax.de is subscribed to the hackers list, and therefore
still send a message back to me.

The only chance is that people start editing their Cc lines before
sending out a message.  Alas, this is also impossible due to the
general laziness of man.

The xfree86-beta list solves this by the general policy that each
*sender* of a message (not the list daemon) sets the reply-to field to
the list himself.  This seems to work.  It's admittedly easier for
them since xfree86-beta is a closed list, i.e. you can expect the
authors of any mail to the list being on the list himself.  But this
is still no excuse for people on the freebsd lists to always keep
everyone in the Cc, even in case this is already the umpteenth reply,
and they would have known quite well that all the Cc'ed persons *are*
on the list.

I usually remove the Cc manually, and set the To field to the list (by
an alias in the mailer), as long as i'm sure that the poster is also
listening.

--
cheers, J"org