Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 20:51:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Host Routing with GateD Questions

I would like to arrange a network to provide a means of directing packets
to one of a pair of routers, depending on the destination address.
Packets traversing R1 endure SKIP processing, packets traversing R2 are
subjected to NAT.  When Host B directs packets to R1 they are SKIP
processed and placed on the private Ethernet.  The packets returning to
Host B should be directed to R1 to be SKIP processed before being routed
to the Internet.  The plan is to set the Gateway address for the
Win95/8/NT hosts to the FR router which has R2 for its default
route but which learns that the route back to host B is via R1.

  [Host B]

 {Internet}

  [Router]
   RIP II

=================Ethernet (public)
  |      |
[R1]	[R2]
gated   gated
  |      |
=================Ethernet (private)
     |       |
  [Host A]  [FR] Cisco rip 2
   Win 95/8  |
            {Elsewhere}

So far I have not been able to get this to work, although I can verify
that R1 is advertising routes and the other routers are listening for
them.  A static route added to R1 just does not show up in the other
routers.

Can this work?  Can a host route be propagated on the private network?
What might I be doing wrong? Are the host routes being aggregated with
the default routes?

Any tips or suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
#4 ISP on C|NET, #1 in Ohio