Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 21:11:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   APC Back Ups

I saw some past archives about the APC "back ups" and Alexis recent
Smart Ups demon.  I want to properly support the dumber cousin,
the APC Back-Ups.

Did anyone add support the Back-Ups yet?  Here is my take on what is
needed for an interface.

The APC Back Ups has two switches that close to indicate Line Fail
and Low Battery and an input that will shut off the power when
asserted when the battery is supplying power.

It appears that I have to make up a cable that will connect the
switches to modem control lines so that high to low signals will
cause modem activity and then I can assert a signal high for .5
seconds to shut off the power.

Now no laughing at my picture:

"-\ -" = switch.
"-||" = ground.

                 PC                              BACK-UPS

DTR HIGH (to supply power)-->--+-----+
                               |     |
                          (resistor) |
                               |  (resistor)
                               |     |
                               |     |
                               |     |                     (switch)   (gnd)
       DSR------------------<--+-------pin 3 (Line Fail)-------\ -------||

       CTS------------------<--------+-pin 5 (Low Battery)-----\ -------||

       RTS------------------>----------pin 2 (Shut Down)

DTR high through the resistors holds the signals high when the switches
are open.  When the UPS closes the switches the signals go low.  Setting CTS
high for .5 second when the battery is off will shut down the power.

There are other signals I can use - I want to check which ones the
non-modem control Boca board supports and stick with those.
I believe a BREAK signal is TX high for a time and may be what APC uses.

It would be nice to use the same pin out as APC uses.

Does anyone know the pinout or have a cable that they can check out?

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936