Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 2015 10:32:28 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>
Cc:        Will Green <will@sundivenetworks.com>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CPU Perf & Power Mgt

On 20 Aug 2015, at 17:44, Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu> wrote:
>=20
> There was a working group at BSDCan this year on power management, and
> what we need to / can do to bring it up to par with the modern world.
> Unfortunately, I haven't had any time lately to work on it, but you
> can read the notes at
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/201506DevSummit/ClockDomains
>=20
> In short, the goal is to add infrastructure to the kernel to support
> overall power management of the system, scaling beyond cpufreq/powerd.
> Looking for volunteers who could do some of this, due to my lack of
> time to work on it.

We also had a power management meeting at BSDCam this week.  Robin =
presented some slides (though the download seems to be broken for me at =
the moment):

=
https://wiki.freebsd.org/201508DevSummit?action=3DAttachFile&do=3Dget&targ=
et=3Dpower-management-for-freebsd-bsdcam-2015.pdf

This includes the design that ARM is trying to push into Linux, which =
looks like it would be adaptable to FreeBSD (and, on the plus side, our =
complete lack of existing power management in the kernel already means =
we don=E2=80=99t already have the legacy stuff that they are fighting in =
Linux).  The goal is to have the scheduler drive all of the (CPU) power =
management.  Any volunteers to work on this are welcome - ARM people are =
happy to provide advice.

David