Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:34:26 +0100
From:      Michiel Boland <boland37@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   dumps don't fit on swap with default install

Hi. I installed 9.0-RELEASE on sparc64 with a clean disk using the partition
scheme that was suggested by the installer. I enabled crash dumps (dumpdev="AUTO").

But at boot the dumpon command fails, apparently because the swap partition is
too small.

$ dmesg | grep memory
real memory  = 805306368 (768 MB)
avail memory = 762691584 (727 MB)
# swapinfo -h
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/ada0b         746424       0B     729M     0%
# dumpon -v /dev/ada0b
/dev/ada0b is smaller than physical memory

There are no minidumps on sparc64. So unless I reinstall there does not appear
to be a way to save crash dumps. Maybe swapon(8) is being overly restrictive, I
don't know.

Cheers
Michiel