Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:34:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: end of 2.2-stable support and the future of ports

As I recall, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> I don't believe that ANYONE can LEGALLY sell a CD set such as you
> describe.
>
> Although the ports can reference distfiles, the authors of a number
> of the packages do not allow their work to be copied and redistributed.

Ok, so if I don't imagine selling the CD, but have a CD burner (or a
tape drive, or a big hard disk, or...) and I want to create a 2.2.8
ports backstop, how much storage would I need?

> On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Chad R. Larson wrote:
>> It's the distfiles that are the issue here.  If I "cvsup"ed the
>> /usr/ports tree, and then did a "make fetch" from the /usr/sup
>> directory, would that do the right thing?  How much disk space would it
>> take?  Would that give me something suitable for CD-ROM burning?
>>
>> What we're trying for here is the definitive final 2.2 CD-ROM set, such
>> that any package that exists as a port will =guarenteed= build,
>> avoiding bit-rot for those of us that use FreeBSD in a production
>> environment.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net