Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 12:56:20 EDT
From:      Wktinteman@aol.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation problems with FreeBSD Toolkit CD set of May 1999

Some days ago I bought your above mentioned Toolkit set on 6 CDs.
CD no. 1 contains at least 2 releases of FreeBSD : 3.1-199903327-STABLE
( which I can't install as I have a Tekram 390F SCSI controller  >-(( ) and
2.2-19990328-STABLE which is 2.2.8.

When I boot with floppies I can go ahead till I want to install the selected
parts of the distribution from CDROM. Then I get an error message which
tells that 3.1-199903327-STABLE is the current version and that I
have the wrong floppies or what else. The CD is mounted on /dist.

I am told to go to the option menu and make appropriate changes.
There I find 2.2-19990328-STABLE which is correct/what I want to do.
 I do not dare to change this ( or should I ? ).

I found a file named CDROM on the CD where is a line setting cd-version
equal to 3.1-199903327-STABLE.

Is there any way to circumvent this error/message ?
Let me add that I could install a 2.5.1 system an try to upgrade
from there to 3.1-199903327-STABLE - but i don't know how and
whether this makes any sense.

By the way I browsed through /www/Handbook and found many 0K-files
( especially on Linux-emulation to run the ADABAS D 11.0 database )

Please don't offer to send the CDs back as I'm situated in Germany.

Best regards,

W. Tintemann
Kastanienweg 5
D-69221 Dossenheim