Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 08:28:58 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        "rick - SomersNet, Inc." <rick@123HostIt.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing from Linux to FreeBSD...

At 14/02/00, rick - SomersNet, Inc. wrote:
>Hi There..
>
>I have searched through all the information I can find, but so far I
>haven't found what I am looking for..
>
>I currently run extremely high load Linux Boxes (RH 6) and I have come
>to the conclusion that Linux can no longer support my stability needs.
>So I want to make the switch from linux to FreeBSD.
>
>I have replacement boxes that I have loaded FreeBSD 3.3, now I just need
>to move the hundreds of sites from the Linux box, to the new FBSD box. I
>have made a tar ball of all the user directories, so I am just going to
>move that to the new box and extract it.. However, how do I add all the
>users without using 'adduser' for every user? I know OpenBSD has a
>simple shell to convert the linux passwd and group files, but does FBSD?

I have recently converted a RH 5.2 to FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE.
I used this script (a slighty modified version of the one found at man 5
passwd):

---> cut here <---
#!/bin/sh
#
awk 'BEGIN {FS=":"}
{ print $1 ":" $2 ":" $3 ":2000::0:0:" $5 ":/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin"}'
---> end <---

Please cat everything is under user 500 (usually) in the linux passwd and
keep for the merging everything is under uid 1000 in the FreeBSD box.

Then merge the FreeBSD file (with only user <1000) with the output of the
script running against a passwd linux file with user with uid > 500

I use the same group "Users" (2000) for everyhone, none of the users has an
home page and everyone uses the nologin shell...

It works now but:

1) Were the pwd file in des format ?
Here is a sample output:
user1:NpEA62BWFdLKE:516:2000::0:0:user1:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
user2:Fn3jvbUeZRCtw:528:2000::0:0:user2:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
user3:syuUiSPpOSTEk:530:2000::0:0:user3:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
user4:HcPt8lJM8cOnA:531:2000::0:0:user4:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
user5:Fb.cr.npqInA2:532:2000::0:0:user5:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin

I choose to use md5 system during installation. Later I have installed the
des library src from the /des dir on the first CD, Is it an unecessary step
? MaY I revert to MD5 mantaining the possibility to read this passwd file ?

Thanks again to everyone for attention...

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it