Date:      16 May 1996 23:41:55 -0500
From:      "Richard Wackerbarth" <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Hackers" <hackers@FreeBSD.org>, "Nate Williams" <nate@sri.MT.net>
Subject:   Re(2): Standard Shipping Containers - A Proposal for Distributing FreeBSD

Warner Losh writes:

> Err, ummm, ctm provides me with up to the last four hour update copies of
the development tree.  And I have my email setup to automatically apply it, so
it is no muss, no fuss.  Easily more up to date that sup ever was

> This is usually sufficient because relatively little changes in any given
four hour period.

Thanks for the testimonial. My point is that, except for a few committers who
must have the absolutely current image (which they usually get by being logged
into the master machine), almost everyone can do just fine with occasional
updates. Depending on the particular tree, the frequency might be every few
hours, or once a day. In any case, those updates are "snapshots" taken by an
automatic camera. Except for the few who have direct access, the sup server
does the same thing. It runs a scan periodically.

All that I am suggesting here is that we set things up so that the snapshots
are the same. And that we add the information that would allow a user to "mix
and match".

--

...computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and weigh
only 1/2 tons.      --  Popular Mechanics, March 1949