Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:23:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        mandrews@termfrost.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony SDT-5000 hardware compression?

 > I'm having problems making hardware compression work on a Sony SDT-5000
 > tape drive, which is supposed to be a DDS-2 drive.  90 meter tapes are
 > filling up at the 2 gig mark -- I should be able to get at least 3 or so

You must remove the 'DC' jumper to enable compression (and probably do
a power cycle). This is how my SDT5000 worked. From the Sony FAQ:

   Q: How does one enable or disable compression on the SDT-5000/5200
   tape drive?
   A: Please note the difference between software compression and
   hardware compression.
   Software compression is handled by the software external to the drive.
   Toggling hardware
   compression can be done by issuing a SCSI Mode Select to the drive or
   simply by setting a
   jumper. Please refer to the SDT-5000 Jumper Setting document. A FAX
   copy of the
   document can be obtained by calling the Sony FAX Retrieval System at
   1-800- 883-7669,
   document 5761.

Jean-Marc