Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 02:02:54 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hans@brandinnovators.com (Hans Zuidam)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Registry reviewers?

Hans Zuidam stands accused of saying:

> The main problem I have with this registry idea is that there is
> already a facility in the kernel for this type of work.  It may
> not be perfect, but it works and may be considered ``standard'' in
> the BSD world.

If I were to take sysctl and fix half of the things that are
fundamentally wrong with its design, it would not look anything like
it does now, and I would be pilloried for still calling it "sysctl".

As things stand, I expect to be able to implement a
backwards-compatible set of sysctl interfaces (although ours are
nonstandard already) with relative ease, in order to smooth the
potential transition to the new system.

> Another problem is that of robustness: if the registry get corrupt
> your whole system is compromised, see your average Windows 95/NT
> system.  It's something like putting all your eggs in one basket
> and then sitting on it...

This is a laughable argument, fundamentally.  We already have just such
a basket, called "the filesystem".

It also shows a basic misapprehension about what an in-kernel
parameter registry is all about.  This is not a global system data
collection; that sort of thing would live in user space, and I would
be partial to asking Fred Roeber (Apollo, Netscape) for a lot of input
on such an undertaking.

> BTW.
> I do like the ppbus driver, it solves quite a few problems, thanks.

No problem; most of the sweat is Nicolas', and I hope he gets back to
me soon so I can get the code committed (note no copyright as yet...)