Date:      Fri, 05 Oct 2012 10:16:25 -0500
From:      dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Updating ports tree with subversion  behind an http proxy server

I am working on switching from updating my systems with csup to
subversion, for the systems I have behind a proxy server.  When I was
using csup, I used an SSH connection, tunneling the 5999 port through
the proxy server.  Now that I am looking at subversion, I have found the
~/.subverison/servers file, edited the [global] section removed the
comment # from the front of the http-proxy-host and http-proxy-port
lines, and added the correct values.
Realizing I may still have to add some configuration settings to allow
the subversion http methods through to the proxy, I went ahead and tried
to run a test check out command.  However it doesn't try to hit the
proxy server, I just get an immediate no route to host error returned.
I know the server has access to the proxy, I was able to use pkg_add
with the necessary environment variables to add subversion to this
system.  The system is a fresh clean install of FreeBSD 9.0-release,
with only the packages added for subversion.  Looking at the proxy
server logs the check out doesn't log anything, which leads me to
believe that svn isn't reading its configuration file, or is simply
ignoring the http-proxy-host and http-proxy-port lines.
Has anyone setup one of their FreeBSD systems to use subversion behind
an http proxy, and know what I am missing?

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer