Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 12:11:35 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Who Caught My PS/2 mouse?! + unknown PCI bridge + DD mode

>> > 	Thanks Louis, that's cool news!  And what is the actual
>> > 	minor No. for moused to work?
>>
>> You should use minor 0 instead of minor 1 ...
>> It works just fine as has been for ages, maybe we should document this
>> somewhere, FAQ meister ??...
>
>We should modify moused to use select() and then all of them will work
>correctly. :)
>

>Nate

I tried the patch, to use select(), in PR bin/1695 and it worked
handsomely with `psm', `mse', and serial mice.

Now we have two options:

a) modify `moused' to use `select()'

We need to 1) patch `moused'.  It makes `moused' work with not only
with `psm' but also with `mse'. Although not mentioned in this thread
of discussion, `mse' is also a non-blocking device and currently
doesn't work with `moused'.

We don't need to update any documentation/FAQ in this case, I expect.

b) create blocking nodes

We need to 1) create a blokcing node each for `psm' and `mse', 2)
change `moused's built-in default of using `/dev/psm0' for the PS/2
mouse; it should now refer to the new blocking node, 3) and update
documentation/FAQ.

I prefer a) to b), because a) seems simpler.

Kazu