Date:      Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:18:14 -0700
From:      Alexander Botero-Lowry <alex@complete-systems.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   some rc.d cleanup

I've bene working on making src/sbin/chkconfig from NetBSD a more complete clone of chkconfig from IRIX as well as making it work on FreeBSD. In this task I have run into some nasty bugs in the implementation of some rc.d scripts in FreeBSD. Some of these bugs are minor, some are not. cleanvar and cleartmp are the worst culprits. These scripts if executed with the argument rcvar (which should only return the configuration value for the script) execute rm on a bunch of files. This action should only happen when the switch start is passed. abi also writes text outside of its start functions, which can be messy. I have a patch for cleartmp (breaking the x11 part of it out into a seperate file that is run by default) and a half patch for abi at: http://alex.complete-systems.net/freebsd-rc.d.patch

/etc/rc.d/power_profile is also an issue. It's not a real rc.d script and therefore should not be in /etc/rc.d.

Thanks, Alex

Please CC as I am off list.