Date:      Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:04:47 -0600
From:      James Shupe <jshupe@osre.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: choosing distribution: FreeBSD

--------------enigCBA8C166A754FDF243C0F93E

FreeBSD isn't a Linux. I'd read up on the differences first.

A lot of people recommend starting off with a Linux like Ubuntu because
the learning curve is potentially a bit easier to work your way around.

Personally, I think that's rubbish because *BSD documentation is much,
much better and you'll end up understanding a lot more about how the
system works in the long run. Linux is getting to the point where most
distributions sugar coat administrative tasks and shut you out of them.

I'd look at OpenBSD if you want a steep, but well documented learning
curve that is most similar to classic UNIX, FreeBSD if you want to learn
a great, versatile server, and Linux if you enjoy the flavor of the week.=

-James