Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:30:39 -0500
From:      "Christopher S. Weimann" <cweimann@wallnet.com>
To:        Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, cjclark@home.com, ragnar@sysabend.org, mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guns and freedom [Was: Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"]

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 06:43:38PM -0600, Jay Nelson wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >1776:
> >	British Army:		muskets and cannon.
> >	Revolutionaries:	muskets.
>
> You should probably add to that, the mortars, frigates and lancers for
> the British of that time.

He should also add rifles to the Revolutionaries.  They probobly had
some of the best marksmen in the world since they grew up using guns
of some sort or another (one of the advantages of an armed society.)
These early rifles had much better range and accuracy than the muskets
carried by the British and we actually had an advantage in that respect.
They used the improved accuracy and range to target British officers
before they were in muskerange which made the rifle a pretty effective
terror weapon.  It was however much slower to load which made the
rifleman very vulnerable so they were kept behind the normal troops.

If you look at the history of the gun you will see that many of the
important innovations (like rifling) were made for hunting.