Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:00:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        oppermann@pipeline.ch, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netgraph sync card success..

Julian Elischer writes:
> > > Anyway, how do I run SyncPPP on that?
> >
> > You can use the new version of mpd (coming soon :-) to run
> > PPP over any netgraph setup. It's not released yet because
> > I want to add a bunch more documentation first... but if
> > you don't care about that I can send you a copy.
>
> It should be possible to use the ppp nodes under some situations
> should it not? I'm not a PPP guru, but what would be needed to add simple
> sync ppp support using only ng nodes?

Yes, that will be the next step.. that is, mpd will be updated
in two steps:

 1 mpd that still uses the tunnel interface, but understands
   netgraph nodes (so packets still leave the kernel, but at
   least each packet is read a whole packet at a time instead
   of little bits at a time (even for async PPP over serial ports))
   This is done, it just wants to have some more documentation.

 2 mpd that knows how to create and setup the ng_ppp(8), ng_vjc(8),
   and ng_iface(8) nodes as appropriate. Then it would no longer
   use the tunnel interface, and IP packets would never leave
   the kernel. This shouldn't take too long to write.

Step 1 will be release real soon now :-), step 2 as soon as I
can write it.

Step 3 is to write netgraph nodes for the various PPP compression
and encryption types. As these things get written they can migrate
from user-space to kernel space.

-Archie