Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 19:58:36 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Boot hangs on v9 system at CD device probe

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I sent a note about this a couple of weeks ago, but have not heard
>> anything. I'm really getting a bit desperate.
>>
>> I have a system that I am trying to upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0. I have
>> built it and installed the kernel, but it fails to boot. The boot
>> freezes after probing for my hard drives during the probe of the
>> CDROM. It just sits there, seemingly forever, though I have never
>> waited longer then a few minutes.
>>
>> The system is a SuperMicro C25BX mother board. The DVD is PATA,
>> reported on boot of 8-Stable as:
>> acd0: DVDR <ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P/9P59> at ata2-master UDMA66
>>
>> If I unplug the CDROM, it boots fine, but I really need the device on
>> the system, so I really can't leave it unplugged. Also, after the 9
>> kernel is installed, my Mk file have been updated so that I can't
>> build some ports if I boot the 8.2 kernel. Does anyone remember this
>> being reported by others? It was most likely on current, as it was
>> probably prior to the release of 9. I googled around, but could not
>> find it.
>>
>> I'd really appreciate it if anyone can point me toward a solution.
>

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-October/020336.html

Thanks, Adam. That is the thread I remembered. Unfortunately it was
"fixed" by use of the ahci driver. As mine is 9.0-Stable, ahci is
already there.  Also, my disks are SATA, but they are connected to a
3Ware raid as RAID-1 and they look a SCSI disk (da0) to the system.

I guess I'll build a kernel with KDB and try booting with a disk in
the drive. I'll also try your suggestion, Ian, and try booting with
DMA off. not that the drive will be terribly useful without it. If the
problem is the same one David had with 9-Current a year and a half
ago.

Thanks, Adam and Ian.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer