Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 11:46:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        terry@cs.weber.edu, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: DEVFS ownership and permissions

> Terry Lambert writes:
> >
> > > BTW: How the heck do permissions work?
> >
> > Ownership and permissions should be specified by the device itself as
> > part of the registration information.
>
> Bill has a raw disk partition he collects his image data on.  It is
> owned by bill and read write by Bill.  It is /dev/rsd1e.  Where is
> the persistence of the ownership and the permissions of this raw device
> which is owned by a regular user?  Is it stored on disk someplace and
> gets established as the system comes up?

Contrary to to Terry, I have talked with Julian about his ideas :-)

I belive we will make it part of the boot procedure to have a shell
script set the permissions.

Permissions are policy, and policy does not belong in the kernel.

--
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@login.dknet.dk> -- TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
'All relevant people are pertinent' && 'All rude people are impertinent'