Date:      Sat, 5 Sep 2015 20:54:24 -0700
From:      kah42pub <kah42pub@blarg.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: keeping up-to-date on RPi2/FreeBSD11

On 9/5/15 17:56, Tim Kientzle wrote:

>> On Sep 5, 2015, at 4:48 PM, John <freebsd-lists@potato.growveg.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 05, 2015 at 12:47:30PM -0700, kah42pub wrote:
>>
>>> For what it is worth, these steps work for me to update an RPI2 in
>>> place. A serial cable is definitely required. Most of this was taken
>>> from the FreeBSD documentation. I've omitted steps that are specific to
>>> my configuration.
>>
>> [snip - thanks for the info btw]
>>
>>> This process recently took me up to 11.0-CURRENT r287441 without a
>>> hiccup on the RPI2. Hope it helps. If anyone sees anything obvious that
>>> I didn't do that I should have for the upgrade process, feel free to
>>> speak up.
>>
>> Will your method work for an image made by crotchet - ie will it boot
>> the right kernel, does it update what crotchet installed? The original
>> install was http://download.raspbsd.org/FreeBSD-armv6-11.0-RPI2-286947.img.gz
>
> Yes, it will work.
>
> The reason there's not a lot of documentation about upgrading FreeBSD-arm in-place is simply that it's exactly the same as i386 or amd64.  All the existing documentation applies exactly.
>
> There are a few minor bits of trivia:
>
> * It takes a while: allow 15 hours on an RPI2, 40 hours on a BeagleBone Black.
>
> * Crochet normally sets the KERNCONF in /etc/sys.mk so you should not need to set it manually.
>
> * If you want to tweak the kernel configuration, it's in the usual place:  /usr/src/sys/<platform>/conf/<config>
>
> * 1GB RAM is not enough for buildworld, so you'll need to configure swap space.  I normally aim for ram + swap >= 1.5GB, so at least 512MB on an RPI2.
>
> * You also need to make sure you have enough disk space:  I think I've successfully done a full buildworld with an 8GB SD card.  16GB is ample.
>

>>> Also, powerd definitely works on RPI2. Having it enabled (allowing
>>> stepped up CPU speeds under load) decreases the build world time by
>>> hours - at least for me. Your mileage may vary.
>>
>> yep, I have powerd enabled now rather than setting turbo in
>> /etc/sysctl.conf. I also have powerd_flags="-a hiadaptive" though am
>> unsure if these flags have any effect on this arch.
>>
>> thanks,
>> --
>> John

My starting image was from a crochet build so that definitely works.

On the RPI2, I have 4GB allocated to /usr/src and that is more than
enough to build. I have lots of swap swap space allocated (2GB, I think)
but that is never touched during the buildworld phase.  Again, your
mileage may vary.

Kris