Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:00:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        sproctor@enter.net (Sean)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Installation problems

[This is more of a -questions matter than -newbies. Followups directed
to -questions.]

Sean wrote,
> I'm trying to install version 3.1-release.  I've made 3 partitions on my
> hard drive, I have win98 on one with FAT32, another put the FreeBSD
> files from /bin/ to d:\freebsd\bin\ with FAT16 (I think, when I install
> FreeBSD it says it's number 5),

Hmmm... You may be outsmarting yourself here. I am not sure if the
installation will look at the 'D:' partition. The installation guide
says 'C:,' but I do not know if that is absolutely required. If you
for some reason made the FAT16 partition believing FreeBSD cannot read
FAT32, it can read FAT32.

> and the other I have formatted with
> FreeBSD.  When I install it, none of the media I've tried work.  When I
> try to install it from my partition I get an error:
> Error mounting /dev/wd0s3 on /dist: invalid argument (22)

When does this occur and how did you create the FreeBSD partition?
(Maybe someone on questions can identify the 'invalid argument (22)'
message off the top of his head?)

> I really don't understand how to install it from the ftp site, but I
> managed to get connected to my internet provider then when I switch back
> and hit enter I get and error something like "Unable to connect to
> ftp.freebsd.org  Unknown error (0)"

I assume you are dealing with a dialup connection. Sorry, cannot help
you there. I've never ftp'ed it that way.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Sean

HTH.