Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 1995 19:44:34 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Going to pcvt

>From the keyboard of Chuck Robey:

> Are there any instructions anywhere about what I have to do to transition
> from syscons (which I've always used) to pcvt?

Unfortunately no.

You have to compile a new kernel, remove the comments from the following lines:

    #device   vt0   at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
    #options  "PCVT_FREEBSD=210"  # pcvt running on FreeBSD 2.0.5
    #options  XSERVER	          # include code for XFree86

And add a comment at the beginning of this line in your kernel config file:

    device    sc0   at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

Recompile and install the kernel generated from this config file.

The syscons specific boottime initialization which is normally done in
/etc/rc.i386 and /etc/sysconfig must be removed and pcvt specific boot-
time initialization may/must be configured, for an example of a pcvt
init file have a look at /usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/Misc/Etc/rc.local.

Also the file /etc/ttys must be edited to replace the cons25 keywords
with either vt220 and/or the pcvt-specific entries to be found in the
termcap database.

Have a look at the files and directories below /usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/Misc
for documentation on pcvt and have a look at the man pages for kcon(1),
scon(1), cursor(1), loadfont(1) and ispcvt(1).

In case you succeed with the conversation, i would appreciate it if you
send in the actual procedure for inclusion in the to be build pcvt-FAQ :-)

Hope this helps,
hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis           hm@altona.hamburg.com              Hamburg, Europe