Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:59:53 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@zeus.theinternet.com.au>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Translation to a safer language (Was: Projects to improve  security)

At 02:38 PM 7/22/98 +0000, Andrew Kenneth Milton wrote:

>Anything with a cast operator is out then...
>
>That nails, C++, Modula*, Java, C.

I disagree. Casting used in certain limited ways is necessary,
as are variant records. However, mechanisms must be in place
to use it safelly.

>Bad code, is bad code, it doesn't matter what language you code in.

However, the language can make sure that much of the bad code won't
compile, or that problems will be caught at runtime.

>The only way to prevent bad code is to audit and test.

It'd be nice if even *that* worked. I've developed a renewed interest
in mechanical verification.

--Brett