Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 14:26:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Derek White <derek@dereks.net>
Cc:        "Xu, Xiang" <bigiintl@lobo.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cable Modem Connection

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Derek White wrote:

> (PS: freeBSD-hackers isn't the best place to post this kind of question -
> try freebBSD-questions if freeBSD-isp doesn't help.)
> (And I'm not on freeBSD-isp, so I won't hear responses there.)
>
> A cable modem is essentially like any other router.  You get an ethernet
> port on the cable modem to which you connect your freeBSD box.  You also
> get an IP address (usually only one) for your computer.
>
> It would be the same if you were connecting to an ISDN router or a Cisco
> router to a Frame Relay or T1 line.

  A cable modem is not a router.  It just remodulates ethernet for
transmission onto the cable network.  It will do MAC filtering so you only
see your own traffic come out.

  The IP address is nearly always assigned via DHCP, so you will likely
get a different IP every boot.

> One thing to consider is that I believe there are service agreements that
> say you can't run a 'server' from the cable modem, so if you plan to use
> this as a web server you might want to check the service agreement
> thouroghly.

  Who needs a service agreement?  Most cablecos just filter out inbound
tcp establish (syn) packets.  This also breaks ftp, but nearly every ftp
client can do passive ftp anyhow, and cablecos probably prefer you use
their proxy cache anyhow.

> Derek (at) dereks.net

Tom
Systems Support