Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:12:59 -0500
From:      "Joseph Mays" <mays@win.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   9.1 permissions in the / directory

Have a recently set up 9.1 RC1 system. Someone (not me, just sayin') did a
chmod 600 in the / directory. Needless to say this caused numerous problems.
I tried to change them back as best I could by comparing them to an older
directory, but some things are still not right. Trying to log in, via either
console or ssh  as anyone other than root. Ssh gets:

%ssh mays@[redacted]
Password:
Last login: Wed Nov 14 15:50:37 2012
Could not chdir to home directory /home/mays: Permission denied
/bin/tcsh: Permission denied
Connection to [redacted] closed.
%

followed by a disconnect. Console complains about the /home/user directory
not being there (though it is and the permissions look normal), says it's
logging in with slash instead, then says "/bin/tcsh: no such file or
directory", though /bin/tcsh is there and permissions look fine. I'm
attaching a screenshot of the message log that shows up on console logins.

So, two questions. What is causing the problem, and does anyone have
anything that shows what the normal / directory permissions for 9.1 RC1
should look like?