Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 02:22:39 -0700
From:      "Jim McLoughlin" <jimmcloughlin@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   first time install questons

Hi folks

Have spent some time installing FBSD 4.6 via FTP.  Everything seemed to go
well, I got through the entire installation.  But once I rebooted, It found
the master boot record on my scsi drive ( the only hard drive in the box),
and halted with the message "missing operating system"

I installed one freebsd partition on the entire drive (no other OS), made it
active for boot, and did not install a boot manager (default).  I also used
the automatic filesystem setup, since it suited my needs fine.  I
successfully resovled any device conflicts - the only ones were network
based, and my ed0 interface is working since the ftp install successfully
grabbed packages, sources, etc.

My questions are:

1. What are the (probablt glaringly obvious) reasons I would get the missing
operating system message?  My best guesses are some kind of device setup
issue.
2. Anyway I can fix things without re-installing again (since I belive the
rest of the install was done fine, and it's a bit slow under ftp)?  I assume
I can use the 2 floopies (kern.flp and mfsroot.flp) to restart the sysintall
program and re-configure.

Any other tips greatly appreciated...

JM