Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 95 12:08:38 EDT
From:      lmcerpr@lmc.ericsson.se (Eric Primeau)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        lmcerpr@lmc.ericsson.se
Subject:   Missing operating system

Hi,

Congratulations on a sensational product!  It would even be
better if....I could get it to run on my system.

PLEASE HELP ME!!
I am facing the famous "Missing operating system" problem.

I tried installing FreeBSD 2.0.5 on my 486 PC, but it appears
that I cannot boot from the hard disk.

I MUST BE REAL CLOSE.

After reading every possible FAQ file on the problem, I must have
tried at least 10 installation/partition variations, so I call to you
as a last resort.

-----------------------

Before FreeBSD, in my very typical DOS/Windows PC setup,
I would boot DOS off my disk C: (170Mb IDE drive).

Then I bought a 1Gb IDE disk and split it into two partitions:  400Mb intended for FreeBSD
and 600Mb for DOS (defined as primary DOS).  (I put the FBSD partition lower because of a note
I read somewhere about a possible problem with this.)   NOTE: DOS sees this 600Mb partition
as drive D:.

Because my IDE CDROM isnt supported by FreeBSD 2.0.5,
I copied the DISTS files unto the D: disk (600Mb DOS partition).

Next I start the FreeBSD installation and instruct it as follows:

disk 0 (C:)
mounted as /cdisk

disk 1
400Mb FreeBSD partition split into  /wds3a 50Mb  / (root mountpoint)
                                    /wds3b 30Mb  swap
                                    /wds3e 320Mb /usr
600Mb mounted as /ddisk

NOTE: I set the geometry of my drive according to the specification written on it
e.g. 2112/16/63.    The root partition is set to be bootable ("A" appears in fdisk).

I perform a "Minimal" installation from Media="DOS partition" and it seems to succeed
with no error messages.   NOTE: I choose the "Boot Manager" option.

When all is finished and I reboot, the boot manager prompts me for:
F1 DOS     F5 disk 2

If I choose F1, DOS boots OK.
If I choose F5, I get "Missing operating system" and the system hangs.

-------------------------------
Variations:
At one point I got desperate. I tried installing with the "Standard MBR" instead of
with the Boot Manager.   After the installation I rebooted and got the message
(something like) "NO ROM SYSTEM HALTED" with system hang.

I figured the MBR had been wiped out somehow.

I rebooted and reinstalled with the Boot Manager;  this time DOS can boot on F1
but "Missing operating system" still appears when booting on disk 2.

-------------------------------
Now there are a few things I dont understand.

1) Where does the boot manager reside? On disk 0 (e.g. my 170Mb DOS C: drive)?  Or on disk 1 (1Gb) ?

2) Why cant the boot manager boot from the 1Gb drive?
   Must I make a small FreeBSD partition on disk C:?

3) What's the problem with the geometry? Initially, fdisk states "528/64/63"
   and I have to change it to "2112/16/63" (when you add it up it's the same thing, no?).
   What does the geometry have to do with boot ?

4) Two of my colleagues have FreeBSD but they have dedicated disks.
   In my case I dont want to use the whole 1Gb drive just for FreeBSD.
   Is it possible to get DOS and FreeBSD to co-exist on my disk?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME AND COOPERATION!

/Eric      (a desperate would-be-home-user-of-unix)

Eric PRIMEAU                     lmcerpr@lmc.ericsson.se
Software Engineer                (514) 738-8300  x2371
Ericsson Research Inc.           Montreal (Qc) Canada