Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 13:27:16 +0100
From:      Steve Folkes <smf@rivers.dra.hmg.gb>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xforms compatibility

asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami) writes:

>>> It was brought to my attention that xforms-0.88.1 is not compatible
>>> with older versions.  In particular, xfmail doesn't correctly work
>>> when linked to the latest xforms library.

I don't know about this particular version, but I had
problems with xforms and LyX back when I was using
2.2.1-RELEASE.  I had upgraded LyX outside of the ports
system to try the latest version and it kept dying.  This
turned out to be an incompatible interface change between
different versions of the xforms library (from memory one of
the notice popup functions changed between

    (char *, char *, char *)

and

    (int, char *, ...)

or something similar).  It worked OK when compiled against
the version of xforms listed in the LyX documentation.

			- Steve.
--
Steve Folkes, N137, DERA Malvern, St Andrews Rd, Malvern, Worcs. WR14 3PS. UK.
   Tel: +44 1684 895649; Fax: +44 1684 894303; Email: smf@rivers.dra.hmg.gb