Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2011 20:45:33 +0000
From:      Malcolm Waltz <mwaltz@PACIFIC.EDU>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS vs OSX Time Machine

AFP is not the same as HFS+.  Time Machine will work better with AFP than N=
FS or SMB/CIFS, but it's still not using native HFS+ unless you are using b=
lock storage (even if you use AFP with an HFS+ filesystem).

Time Machine cannot function at all without accessing HFS+ directly.  If yo=
u are using a network filesystem (AFP, SMB/CIFS or NFS), Time Machine creat=
es a sparse disk image, formatted as HFS+ and stores it on your file-server=
.  It then attaches that disk image as a disk device and mounts it (somewha=
t like "mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /path/to/disk-image -u 1; mount /dev/md1 /m=
nt").  It then treats that disk image basically the same way that it treats=
 local attached storage, including creating hard directory links (but all i=
nside the disk image).  See man hdiutil (on OS X) for more info, particular=
ly the part about SPARSEBUNDLEs, sparse images backing HFS+ filesystems and=
 band sizes.

Even if you use Mac OS 10 Server and create a Time Machine share (which is =
the best case scenario), it still uses emulated block storage as described =
above (disk image over AFP on HFS+).  I have personally done this and decid=
ed that it was not a very good solution.  Your milage may very.  I know tha=
t people do this, but it seems rather silly.

If you have the knowledge to use ZFS, use a zvol via iSCSI.  It is much mor=
e efficient to use a form of network storage that handles block access nati=
vely (like iSCSI) instead of accessing emulated block storage via file-shar=
ing protocols that were not designed for such use.  ZFS doesn't care what y=
ou use it for.  If you are using ZFSv28 (I wouldn't use it for critical dat=
a on FreeBSD yet) you can even do dedupe and compression on a native HFS+ T=
ime Machine volume (although you would only see the saved space from the pe=
rspective of the zpool and make sure you have lots of RAM).=20

On Apr 28, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2011, at 12:17 PM, George Kontostanos wrote:
>> I am using TM over smb on a ZFS Raidz1 pool of my fileserver with no pro=
blems whatsoever. =20
>>=20
>> NAME                          USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
>> tank/apple                   37.2G  82.8G  37.2G  /tank/apple
>>=20
>> Oldest backup 14 December 2009
>=20
> SMB aka CIFS is a better choice than NFS, because it supports better lock=
ing (oplocks or "stealable" locks), but it is not as good as AFP for this p=
articular purpose.  Also, ZFS isn't going to be as space efficient at stori=
ng TM backups compared with HFS+, because it doesn't support hard links to =
directories.