Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 1997 19:34:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
To:        lesstif@hungry.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   can't make depend on FreeBSD (lesstif-0.79)

Hi,

Regarding building lesstif-0.79 from sources: make depend won't work

I recently triend 'make depend' on FreeBSD 2.2.2, and I was getting
messages like 'srcdir: not found', but meanwhile, srcdir=. was at the top
of the maakefile.

I think where this was conking out was where $(srcdir) was nested inside
another ${ .... $(srcdir)$.c }, etc., in the lib/Xm subdirectory.  I think
this may be because BSD make doesn't handle nested variables as well as
GNU make.  I think the only solution would be to download GNU make and
install it as gmake to differentiate it from the make on my system.

Any suggestions appreciated.

   Donn

   email: dmm125@bellatlantic.net
   phone: 412 547-9089